The Bernice Lake Combustion Turbine is another generation component used for peaking and reserve capacity.
- Plant can generate 80 megawatts using three gas turbines.
- Was purchased from Chugach Electric in 2011.
- The addition of the Bernice Lake Power Plant to HEA’s generation portfolio eliminated the need for a second turbine at Soldotna, thus saving the Cooperative more than $15 million.
- The gas turbines can be cold started and producing power in less than eight minutes.
- FUN FACT: 80 megawatts can power 800,000 100-watt incandescent light bulb.