On March 27, 2015, Homer Electric Association’s solely-owned subsidiary, Kenai Hydro LLC, submitted a Draft License Application to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for the proposed Grant Lake Hydroelectric Project.
The submittal triggered the opening of a 90-day public comment period that will close on June 29, 2015.
The Grant Lake Hydroelectric Project would be a new 5-megawatt hydroelectric facility on Grant Lake and Grant Creek near Moose Pass, Alaska. The Project would divert water from Grant Lake and deliver the flow to a powerhouse located near the outlet of the existing Grant Creek canyon. The Project would include the following major components:
- An intake structure in Grant Lake.
- A tunnel extending from the lake intake to just east of the powerhouse.
- A powerhouse with two Francis turbines providing an anticipated combined 5-MW
- Tailrace detention pond.
- Switchyard with disconnect switch and step-up transformer.
- An overhead transmission line.
- A pole mounted disconnect switch where the transmission line intersects the main power distribution line.
Persons interested in viewing the Draft License Application and providing comments to FERC via the FERC eLibrary can do so by following these steps:
- Click on link: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/IDMWS/search/fercgensearch.asp
- Under the “Date Range” category in the “From” option, make sure the date range is inclusive of the range between March 25th and March 31st. This will ensure that the DLA filing is included in your request.
- Under the “Library” category, make sure “Hydro” is selected.
- Under the “Docket Number” category, enter “P-13212”
- Click “Submit” at the bottom of the page. This will take you to all documents/correspondence that have been filed during your specified date range.
- A chronological list of documents/correspondence will appear with detailed descriptions of each. At the far right of specific exhibits that you’d like to review, select the .pdf option and the selected file will open on your computer.
Comments can also be mailed to Secretary Kimberly D. Bose, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Attn: DHAC PJ-12.2, 888 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20426. Reference Grant Lake Hydroelectric Project P-13212 DLA in the subject line of the comments.