Upgrade Your Lights to LED Bulbs
- Place light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, in heavily used fixtures. They offer similar light quality to traditional incandescent bulbs, last 25 times as long, and use even less energy than compact fluorescent lights.
Other Lighting Tips:
- Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs. They will last up to 10 times longer than comparable incandescent bulbs and will produce the same level of light for one-fourth of the operating cost. They also will reduce your home’s cooling load, as they do not produce as much heat.
- Turn off lights when possible and remove unwanted light bulbs where light is too bright.
- Buy Energy Star light fixtures and lamps. They use one quarter of the energy traditional fixtures and lamps use and last longer than brands that do not meet Energy Star criteria.
- Use LED Christmas lights. They use 90% less energy, are brighter than standard Christmas lights and last much longer. Through the long, dark Alaskan winters, the cost of leaving inefficient lights on can add up.