Power Generation

In 1945, nine forward-thinking citizens of Homer met and began working together to form Alaska’s fifth rural electric cooperative. Their first official Rural Electrification Administration (REA) meeting was December 17, 1945, and the system was energized March 13, 1950, making Homer brighter for 56 cooperative members.

In 1946, a 75 Kilowatt (KW) Caterpillar generator supplied electricity to 56 members. Today, 80 Megawatts (MW) of generation from several sources is needed to fulfill all the electric needs today.

Bradley Lake Hydroelectric Plant (fueled by water): 14.8 MW

Nikiski Generation Plant (fueled by natural gas & recovered heat): 80 MW

Soldotna Generation Plant (fueled by natural gas): 48MW

Seldovia Generation Plant (fueled by diesel): 2.4 MW

Bernice Lake Generation Plant (fueled by natural gas): 80 MW