New Home/Business

Construction site. Wooden frame of the home from a bar. The house wooden foundation. Building of houses under the key. Production of wooden houses.New Service Application Process

To provide insight to the new service process, members seeking energized service can take these steps to facilitate their service. Roll over the icons for an explanation of what an applicant can expect when applying for new service.

You can download and print a New Service Application (PDF) Visit our Electrical Service Requirements page to find out more on how to prepare. Submit your Application for New or Rework of Service to a HEA location or email the completed application to

Step 1: Preliminary Cost Estimate

Before providing an application and Design & Engineering Fee, at no cost to you, the Engineering Department can provide you with a non-binding preliminary cost estimate without making a site visit. This will help you to decide if you want to apply for new service.

Step 2: Application

Download a copy of the Service Extension section of the HEA Tariff. Please review all the rules that apply to your line extension. *If your application is canceled, any cost accrued toward your job will be deducted from the Design & Engineering Fee before a refund can be issued.

New Service Applicant Checklist
Some of the application requirements include:

  • All HEA facilities must have an easement by way of a recorded plat or other legal document such as a blanket or specific easement. This allows HEA to install facilities, access and make repairs.
  • The member must disclose any unusual site conditions that may not be readily apparent such as buried slash, French drains, or other obstructions.
  • Officially placed survey monuments must exist at the corners of the property to be served as necessary to correctly locate the new electrical facilities.
  • The applicant must provide a site description showing anticipated location of signs, parking, garages, driveways, fences, and anything expected to be installed in the future. This will help HEA install the facilities in a location which will not enclose HEA equipment or lead to a relocation.
  • The member must provide a clear and unobstructed route for the extension. Underground construction requires removal of root systems.
  • The consumer shall obtain a Specification Packet for the type of meter base they intend to install. A hard copy of the specifications is available at either HEA office or can be downloaded from this link: Electric Service Requirements
  • Upon receipt of a fully-completed service application, a Homer Electric Engineering Tech will contact the member to make a site visit.
  • The Engineering Tech will design and provide a cost estimate for the job based on HEA standard practices and procedures and the member’s needs as described in the submitted application packet.
  • Each application/job packet is handled in the order that it is received.
  • The Engineering Tech will:
    • Select a route for new service and stake the route.
    • Approve a location for the meter base.
    • Inform the member of their responsibilities such as providing clearing and or grubbing, having the route and meter location within 6” of final grade with appropriate backfill, removing obstacles along the selected route and installing the meter base to HEA specifications.
    • Determine the scope of the job. Will the job require surveying or clearing?
    • Determine the cost of construction for the service.
    • *NOTE: It is the Engineering Tech’s responsibility to design the job to meet HEA standard practices and procedures.
  • Once payment or financing arrangements have been made:
    • Any necessary clearing and surveying work will be scheduled.
    • Any necessary permits or easements will be pursued.
    • Work order authorizations within HEA will be obtained.

Step 3: Site Visit & Route Selection

An engineering tech will make a site visit to determine an acceptable route that meets HEA’s requirements to an approved meter base location per Section 7.4 of the HEA Tariff. An engineering tech will also determine the eligibility for the Secondary Service Credit as per Section 6.1 (j) of the HEA Tariff. A job design will be created for construction. Permitting, clearing, surveying and easements may be necessary. To avoid damages and delays, please make us aware of any underground facilities on your property.

Step 4: Design & Costs

Once a job design is approved, your estimated costs will be finalized and provided to you. Permitting, clearing and easement requirements will be identified but will not be acquired until payment has been received for the fees and costs. Ask about HEA’s financing options to help your project come to fruition.

Step 5: Permits

  • Permits – Potential permitting agencies include Kenai Peninsula Borough, City of Homer, City of Kenai, City of Soldotna, Department of Natural Resources, Corp. of Engineers, and State of Alaska DOT. Some permits can take three or more weeks to obtain. Permits must be obtained prior to HEA releasing your job to construction.
  • Easements – Easements are sometimes required and those must be signed by the property owner and ready to be recorded.
  • Survey – Survey work may be required to avoid encroachment on other properties and must be completed prior to releasing the job.
  • Clearing – All routes must be cleared per HEA requirements prior to the release of your job to construction
  • Meter Base – The consumer-owned meter base must pass inspection prior to the job being scheduled for construction. Please ensure the installation of your meter base is in an approved location. HEA is responsible for your service wire only up to your meter base, except in the case of an overhead service in which case HEA is responsible up to the masthead.
  • City of Kenai consumers – all-new/rework of electric services will be inspected by the City Inspector. HEA will not release the job to construction until the City Inspector has approved your installation. City Inspector’s contact information is (907) 283-8233.

Step 6: Schedule Construction

There is a short construction season in Alaska and many things need to be coordinated in order to complete your job. Once your job is ready, jobs will be scheduled in the order in which they are released to construction.

You are responsible for locating underground facilities you own on your property. Private/consumer-owned facilities are not located through the Alaska Digline 811 services. Consumer-owned facilities include septic, drain tiles, electric lines and any other underground facilities that are privately owned. To avoid damage, please mark them prior to HEA’s arrival.

Links to:

Application for New/Rework of Service (PDF)

Service Extension Section of the HEA Tariff (PDF)

Electrical Service Requirements (PDF)

Submit your Application for New or Rework of Service to a HEA location or email the completed application to