Be aware of the hazards presented by downed power lines.
- Consider all wires ENERGIZED and dangerous. Even lines that are de-energized may become energized at any time.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from the wire.
- Electricity can travel through the ground. Therefore, a live wire touching the ground can harm you even if you don’t touch the wire.
- Electricity can also travel through tree limbs. Never remove tree limbs or other items that are touching or near a downed wire.
- Never use any object to move a downed wire.
- If a broken power line should fall on your vehicle:
- Stay inside the vehicle until help arrives, as your car may be energized.
- Warn others not to touch the vehicle and have them call for help.
- If you must leave the vehicle, jump as far away as possible with both feet landing on the ground at the same time. DO NOT touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.
- If someone makes contact with a downed power line, don’t try to rescue them because you risk becoming a victim yourself. Call 911.
Call HEA about downed power lines immediately.